The Gallery - The Base
The Open Studios Flagship Exhibition
We are so happy to welcome visitors to INSIGHT 2019 which is being held for the first time at the prestigious gallery of The Base at Greenham. This wonderful new space will be INSIGHT's future home and provides Open Studios artists with a very special platform to show their work. We feel this is where you should start your Open Studios adventure. It is our flagship exhibition and is a wide-ranging, exciting display of the work of well over a hundred artists taking part in this year's Open Studios scheme.
The exhibition, curated by Paul Forsey and John Brazendale, runs from the 4th - 27th May. It is open daily 11.00am - 5.00pm, including weekends and Bank Holidays. On Tuesday 14th May we are offering a free talk An Introduction to The Base, Newbury's newest Arts Venue in conjunction with Newbury Spring Festival.
INSIGHT provides you with a taster to help you choose the artists you would like to visit, giving you an initial 'insight' into their work. You can meet painters, ceramicists, sculptors, jewellers, printmakers, textile artists, photographers and artists who work in wood, metal, glass, stone and digital media.
You can be sure of a warm welcome when you visit INSIGHT from the stewards on duty. They are participating artists who can help you engage with the exhibition, answer your questions and help should you wish to make a purchase.
We have suggested to our artists that they might like to produce 'Art Trails', showing the location of artists whose studios are near one another. You can, of course, make up your own Art Trail from our map.
As well as INSIGHT, Open Studios has some excellent satellite exhibitions throughout the region.
- The Corn Exchange is hosting the Art in Music, Music in Art exhibition, a collaboration between Newbury Spring Festival and Open Studios. The exhibition is being curated by Anne Jones. Here, OS artists have explored and interpreted their reactions to rehearsals and performances during Newbury Spring Festival 2018.
- West Berkshire Museum is housing a group exhibition of OS Artists entitled Hidden Ties curated by Chrys Healey.
- West Berkshire Community Hospital has a wide-ranging exhibition curated by Anne Jones entitled Making an Impression.
- In Reading, The Holybrook Gallery is hosting the exhibition Get Reading Art by Reading artists coordinated by Charles Burns and Lizzie Perkins.
- Newbury Library will be showing the New in Town exhibition curated by Anne Jones.
- In Basingstoke, The Willis Museum is hosting the exhibition Inspire by North Hampshire artists curated by Sharon Perris.
- At The Watermill Theatre, an exhibition of the paintings of Minnie Shaw Stewart has been curated by Gay Chrichton Miller.
- Sandham Memorial Chapel hosts a display entitled A sense of Place curated by Helen Mortimer which shows the work of many OS artists.
Chair Open Studios WBNH