Welcome to INSIGHT 2016 which is again housed in the prestigious Gallery of New Greenham Arts. During Open Studios in May it hosts our flagship exhibition which is a huge and exciting show displaying the work of over a hundred artists in this year's Open Studios scheme.
The exhibition is curated by John Brazendale and Martin Easterbrook who are joined this year by Jane Vaidya. Talks will be given by the team on the curation process on Thursday May 12th, tickets can be obtained from Newbury Spring Festival.The exhibition runs from the 30th April - 22nd May. It is open daily, including weekends and Bank Holidays.
INSIGHT provides you with a 'taster' to help you choose artists you would like to visit, thus giving you an 'insight' into their work. You can meet painters, ceramicists, sculptors, jewellers, printmakers, textile artists, photographers, and artists who work in wood, metal, glass, stone and digital media.
If you are hesitant about visiting INSIGHT, you can be sure of a warm welcome from the stewards on duty. They are participating artists who can help you engage with the exhibition, answer your questions and maybe help you to make a purchase.
Alongside INSIGHT you will find the resident artists of Studio 8, in the Arts Centre. They will be ready to discuss their ideas, processes and work with you.
We have suggested to our artists that they might like to produce 'Art Trails', showing the location of artists whose studios are near each other. You can of course make your own Art Trail from our map in this Directory.
As well as INSIGHT, Open Studios has some excellent satellite exhibitions throughout the region.
- Cover to Cover 2016, organised by Isabel Carmona, will again be displayed at the West Berkshire Museum.
- Arlington Arts has an exhibition entitled Partitions, curated by Patricia McKenna.
- The Watermill Theatre is showing Sculpture in the Garden, curated by Gay Smith, with works by Diana Barraclough and Diccon Dadey. Paintings by Sharon Perris can be seen in the Restaurant.
- Newbury Central Library will be hosting the exhibition Careful Looking – form and detail in Nature which includes work by Kate Steele, Paul Harvey and Sarah Johns, curated by Anne Jones, Pearl Hailstone and Vivian Pare.
- In Basingstoke, Jayne Perkins and Joan Crawford are organising the first North Hampshire Artists exhibition Life and Light at Sherfield Park Community Centre.
- At the New Greenham Tandoori Restaurant, Jane Vaidya has curated Mentors and Trios recent works by Robert Fitzmaurice.
Chair, Open Studios